leadership integrity family education

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Lord, What Am I Supposed To Do???

Today I was highly upset. For two reasons. One, one of my professors is a very interesting person. The class has no syllabus and no structure...the highest grade on the midterm was a 70 and when she tests us on information, we can have EXACTLY what was written on the worksheet or exactly what she told us, but it's still not enough. Madness.

Secondly, since I missed the deadline for a Critical Language Scholarship to completely pay for Russian study abroad... I'm planning to apply to a language school and I am applying for a scholarship which, if I get it, could pay for the entire tuition and thing. Which is wonderful, right? Wrong. Because what I really want to do is go overseas. I want to go to Russia. I love Spanish, I do, but Russian is what I want to focus on right now.

So. I was upset. It looks like I may get a C in a Spanish class and then I can't go to Russia. So after my class, I went to the language lab and started randomly googling Russian Scholarships. My thought was there must be some money out there for people that want to study Russian. Plus, to show my frustration, I changed my gchat status to: Lord, what am I supposed to do???

Little did I know...as I was searching, this is what the Lord said to me: If you want to go to Russia, do it. Do what you need to do; search out the programs, apply for scholarships and aid. Then leave it all to me.

Well. Then, I started to find some various programs and most of them gave links to scholarships that could pay a lot of, if not all, of the costs. I certainly did not really expect God to give me an answer seconds after I put my gchat status up, but He did. Then, I went and shared this...revelation (for lack of a better word ;) with another Dove Sister. As she praised God with me, she also told me that I sounded like David in 1 Samuel.
(It was sort of funny that she said that I sounded like David, because last week I was thinking that I wanted to be like him. I want to be a woman after God's heart, you know??? )
So I looked it up. It is in 1 Samuel 30:8 and it reads:

8 So David inquired of the LORD, saying, "Shall I pursue this troop? Shall I overtake them?"
And He answered him, "Pursue, for you shall surely overtake them and without fail recover all."


To give a little context, David basically came to a city, Ziklag, only to discover that the entire place had been ravaged. It had been burned down and family's had been taken captive, including David's two wives. It was such a bad situation that his own people were talking about stoning David because it was so grave. But it says in verse 6 that David strengthened himself in the LORD his God.

After drawing his strength from God, that was when David asked Him what he should do and the Lord told him! Do it! Do it and you will surely succeed and get back everything.

The thing is, I was not in that mindset earlier today. I was not strengthening myself in Him, I was wallowing in myself and in my situation. But, as soon as I inquired of the Lord, even though it was not intentional, God answered me!!!
See, what we have to remember is that at times we can honestly be searching for all the right answers in all the wrong places.

As far as my class goes, I had pretty much given up hope...and as for the language school...my thought was that I would take it, but it was not really what I wanted. Did I pray about any of these situations? Not really. And that was my mistake. I did not strengthen or encourage myself in Him. I did not inquire of Him until I was through, but praise God for always being there! I wonder if God is sitting there like, when are they going to just ask me? When is ADE just going to ask me what to do?

Because instead of asking Him what to do, I was just sitting there, concentrating on what I saw, concentrating on the surface. When the Word clearly states that we walk by faith and not by sight. So even though what we see may not be what we want, we need to take our eyes off of our circumstances and place them on the Father. David wrote in Psalm 121:

Psalm 121

A Song of
Ascents.
1 I
will lift up my eyes to the hills—
From whence comes my help?
2 My help
comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

3 He will not allow
your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
4 Behold, He
who keeps Israel
Shall neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD is your
keeper;
The LORD is your shade at your right hand.
6 The sun shall not
strike you by day,
Nor the moon by night.

7 The LORD shall preserve
you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul.
8 The LORD shall
preserve your going out and your coming in
From this time forth, and even
forevermore.

When we are distressed what are we supposed to do? Call on the Lord. And in this entire Psalm, we are assured of all the things God will do for us. He will keep us, preserve us from evil...and ultimately solve our problem. He knows both our wants and our needs, so aside from the fact that He's, you know, God, that's another reason we can trust His answer. We may not get what we want, but that could very well be because it is not what we need.

So. What am I going to do? I am going to apply for these scholarships, including the language school. As for my class, I am going to finish the semester out strong with the final and trust God for the rest.

We tend to rush to others or to something else when we have problems or maybe even just keep it within ourselves and try to figure it out.

As we leave this semester behind I challenge you to do as David did: Lift your eyes to the hill and inquire of the Lord. Draw your strength from Him....He has all the answers anyway.

***Dove Sister Adeola Oyelabi***

4 comments:

  1. This was a blessing. We all get that way and all we need to do is turn to God and ask him to show himself strong towards us! I see why you said what you said earlier...Encourage yourself. Look at me, Im talking to myself now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you went to your sister.

    We as Christians often forget that we are not the only Christian in the world. There are many of us! Let us learn to lean on the family we have!

    and I am so praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was exactly what i needed! i've been praying about changing my major and just this morning i asked God on the way to class "God what do you want me to do? ..just hit me on the head with an answer!" its crazy how He works lol! thank you!

    ReplyDelete