leadership integrity family education

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Food for the MIND!!

AS finals roll around…our minds seem to be flying around everywhere. Study sheets, tests, and applications are right in the mix too! It's the end of the semester. For me the end of one of my last here at Howard. Tear…

In the midst of everything, I am trying to keep my head up and enjoy all that God is blessing me with despite the trials and tribulations that 08 brought me. I am looking forward to 2009 with a renewed strength!

In these final days of this semester, I am reminded that in order for my strength to be renewed I need to have wisdom. In order to fight off the sly comments and setbacks that the DEVIL attempts to make I have to seek WISDOM! I'm sick of falling for the devils lies.

Proverbs 1:2-6:

2 Proverbs teach you wisdom and train you.
They help you understand wise sayings.
3 They provide you with training and help you live wisely.
They lead to what is right and honest and fair.
4 They give understanding to childish people.
They give knowledge and good sense to those who are young.
5 Let wise people listen and add to what they have learned.
Let those who understand what is right get guidance.
6 What I'm teaching also helps you understand proverbs and stories.
It helps you understand the sayings and riddles of those who are wise.

It's simple but true. Many times we are distraught and distressed because we often lack wisdom enough to realize that worrying and stressing won't help anything. As my sister Renee said the other day…it's feels good to sit and complain…but once we do that the devil eases his way on in and has a party in our minds.

In this final stretch I have to be careful not to be timid about relying and leaning on God. Whatever damage I have done this semester will not get better with my moping and complaining. I will put my best foot forward today and pray for guidance and wisdom today.

I can't say that I got up early all semester and read my Bible as I said I would. I can't say I stayed up an extra 20 min to pray after being up in the wee hours of the night to write a paper/study. I honestly cannot say that I have done all that God has asked me to do this semester. Nevertheless, wisdom tells me that I am not perfect; I must not beat myself down for it.

"God is not a bully," as one of my dear sorors always says. He is not…and He is not checking my "naughty list" this season to get back at me in the times I need Him most. Although, I am taking one of the hardest test I will ever take in my life today, I WILL call on HIS name with no doubt that HE will hear me and answer my prayer! I refuse to let the devil win and have him make me believe that God is done with me. God made an agreement with this filthy humanity YEARS and YEARS ago when His son Jesus DIED on the cross!

Let's read some more Proverbs…

6 The Lord gives wisdom.
Knowledge and understanding come from his mouth.
7
He stores up success for honest people.
He is like a shield to those who live without blame. He keeps them safe.
8
He guards the path of those who are honest.
He watches over the way of his faithful ones.
9
You will understand what is right and honest and fair.
You will understand the right way to live.
10
Your heart will become wise.
Your mind will delight in knowledge.
11
Good sense will keep you safe.
Understanding will guard you
.

I want better understanding, I want to become wise and I want my mind to delight in knowledge! Why allow all this other mess to fill your mind when God wants to fill it with this good stuff. You should be tired right now…you should be sick of school…you should be weary and worn…but will you allow it to stay this way or will you seek to renew your STRENGTH? Will you seek wisdom…or will you stay stuck in your own understanding.

I pray that your final test, papers, and all of your applications go well. Take a break and breath and don't allow yourself to get overwhelmed. Stuff will get done and you will make it through! Just remember to feed yourself some wisdom!

Valencia Caroline Thurman...aka LENCE...aka VAL...



--
Dove Sister Valencia Caroline Thurman
Alpha Nu Omega Sorority Inc. President
Lambda Chapter, Howard University

No comments:

Post a Comment