leadership integrity family education

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Liselle's Blog

Good girl gone bad?...AS IF!

So, you guys…. I was thinking: What's up with this "good girl gone bad" syndrome? I mean, when Rihanna debuted, she was all sweet and what not, and then she apparently suddenly experienced inner emancipation or whatever and started wearing black and doing all her videos in either something skin tight, or some kinda bathing suit. Of course, her "going BAD" was thoroughly praised by pop culture. At that time I just told myself "Oh well…another one bites the dust"( Shall we pause for eight seconds to muse upon Britney Spears' – "I'm not that innocent", Christina Aguilera's tramp stage, and the disintegration of Halle Berry's decency in Monster's Ball?) Despite the unfortunate nature of the event, I tried not to stress out too much about it, given the fact that I was quite fond of the 'innocent' Rihanna.

However, when Elle magazine featured Beyonce and her new album developed around her badly behaved alter ego "Sasha Fierce", I had to protest! To quote the article, "inside every good girl is a bad girl dying to go off on someone, desperate to shake her booty and sing for more than just a mirror, maybe even itching for the chance to drink and smoke and cuss and sleep around, and not necessarily in that order."

WHAT? REALLY? ..ok…

That generalization inspired to me to write to my sisters and offer a word of encouragement to those of us out there who refuse to 'GO BAD'. The word of God says quite a bit about maintaining sound character

1 Tim 2:9, 10

And I want women to be modest in their appearance. They should wear decent and appropriate clothing and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair or by wearing gold or pearls or expensive clothes. 10 For women who claim to be devoted to God should make themselves attractive by the good things they do.

1 Tim 4:12

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity

NLT

These verses describe a good girl if I've ever heard of one.

You know, it's hard for me sometimes when I see all these attractive, young, once-good females turning "bad" all of a sudden. It's as though the world glorifies the loss of virtue and innocence. Sometimes it's hard not to feel as though I'm missing out on the action as a good girl.

Romans 12: 2 encourages me to get my mind right on that

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect

NLT

Renew my mindset…hmmmm. That's deep.

In that case then, I guess that in this new era in which being a cussing, screaming, aggressive sexpot is all the rage- I'm in rebellion.


--
Liselle Coker
DKA Clayborn,Lovely Lambda#08FA08, Reverse Osmosis
Howard University School of Architecture, May'09

2 comments:

  1. wow Liz (my double), I never thought about it that way....but u know way, u are so RIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WONDERFUL!!! You better rebel sis!

    ReplyDelete