leadership integrity family education

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Can I Take A Minute to Complain?

So I've been reading Jeremiah lately and...well its been interesting. As I got to chapter 20 and the subtitle (in the NIV version) read "Jeremiah's Complaint", I kind of got excited. Only because, at the time, I felt that I had a lot to complain about. Its bad, I know, but sometimes it feels real good to complain. I don't really know why since my complaints usually don't solve the problem, but it just feels so good...I promise I'm working on it. Anyways, back to Jeremiah...so he basically says this:

Jeremiah's Complaint
7 O LORD, you deceived [a] me, and I was deceived [b] ;
you overpowered me and prevailed.
I am ridiculed all day long;
everyone mocks me.
8 Whenever I speak, I cry out
proclaiming violence and destruction.
So the word of the LORD has brought me
insult and reproach all day long.
9 But if I say, "I will not mention him
or speak any more in his name,"
his word is in my heart like a fire,
a fire shut up in my bones.
I am weary of holding it in;
indeed, I cannot.
10 I hear many whispering,
"Terror on every side!
Report him! Let's report him!"
All my friends
are waiting for me to slip, saying,
"Perhaps he will be deceived;
then we will prevail over him
and take our revenge on him."
11 But the LORD is with me like a mighty warrior;
so my persecutors will stumble and not prevail.
They will fail and be thoroughly disgraced;
their dishonor will never be forgotten.
12 O LORD Almighty, you who examine the righteous
and probe the heart and mind,
let me see your vengeance upon them,
for to you I have committed my cause.
13 Sing to the LORD!
Give praise to the LORD!
He rescues the life of the needy
from the hands of the wicked.

In verses 7-10 Jeremiah is upset because God has placed him in this position where he literally feels alone. He has to constantly deal with these crazy Israelites who have totally left the will of God and have no remorse. He's tired of always having to bring a word from the Lord that they choose to ignore, he's tired of the ridicule, and he's tired of always having to go against the grain. Even in those moments when Jeremiah is just ready to quit, he can't because God's words are so forceful in his heart that he can't hold them in...so he's tired of it. I don't know about you, but at the time I was reading that, I could totally relate. I'm tired too...I get tired of always having to do the right thing, I get tired of always having to do God's work. Why am I the one that has to be put in these situations, why can't I let my flesh respond just this once. It's not easy being a Christian, especially when God pushes you to say some things you would rather keep to yourself.

But we can't become weary in well doing. This is where the encouragement comes in, in verses 11-13. I especially like how verse 11 says that God is with us like a mighty warrior. God's got our back, in those times when we feel like we can no longer handle the opposition. Sometimes we get so tired and weary because we're trying to do all the fighting. Granted, walking the Christian walk won't be easy, but its not meant to take you out. The only reason God places us in these situations is to show us that we can't do it on our own.

In verse 9, Jeremiah talks about God's word being like a fire shut up in his bones. So it's not like he doesn't have the passion, he's just losing stamina. With finals just around the corner, I'm losing stamina too. But its in those moments that I have to completely rely on God, because Renee won't make it. I have to realize that I can come to Him and find that rest that I desire.

So go ahead, take a minute to get all those complaints out. Scream, run, do whatever you gotta do, but afterwards, leave it there and trust that God will handle it. He's got our back, and we will make it because He said we would!

DS Renee Davis

life's really not that scary now is it?

1 comment:

  1. u r rite...instead of exerting all my energy in complaining i need to use it in ways that glorify him...i need to speak life with my words and actions...regardless of what others might say, think, or do

    ReplyDelete