leadership integrity family education

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Matthew 5:44 Principle

My mother always told me, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” For
a long time I tried to follow this principle, especially with people who I didn’t get along with. If I saw
someone I didn’t like, instead of giving them a piece of my mind, I would hold my tongue. This worked
for me and I figured that it worked for God too since He did say love your enemies. But I soon realized
that not speaking to one’s enemies did not equate showing them love. When the bible says love your
enemies, it means in the same way that God loves us. That means we are to pray for them with the
same fervor that we pray for our family and friends. I had to go out of my way to speak to people who
I knew probably wouldn’t speak back. I made it a point to rejoice in their good news and mourn with
them when something bad happened. I didn’t shut them out of my life like I wanted to; I tried to open
up and invite them in. It was and is hard, especially when your “enemy” is someone who hurt you, but
it is through your love that they will see Christ and also through total forgiveness that you will receive
healing. Remember today to pray for your enemies and to pray that God continue to heal whatever hurt
they left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment